Our M.Sc. in Mathematics provides a solid base for careers in both academia and industry. There is a great demand for mathematicians in various sectors: investment banks, insurance companies, financial institutions, engineering consultancies, medical research, bioinformatics, software, computer security, and defense. Well trained students are also sought by universities all over the world for their research programs. Our graduates have been selected for higher studies in reputed institutions or opted for jobs in industry. Some have also joined the teaching profession.
- Eligibility: A B.A./B.Sc./B.S./B.Tech. Degree in Mathematics/Physics/Science/ Engineering or similar disciplines with overall marks of at least 50% (or equivalent grade). Final year students can apply on the basis of their earlier marks. Please write to us in case you have a different background or are uncertain about your eligibility for any reason. (Contact details are given at the end of this prospectus)
- Admission: Admission is through a written test. The syllabus for the test is described in the Admission Process section.
- Core courses: These include the standard graduate-level courses: Linear Algebra, Algebra, Analysis I & II, Numerical Analysis & Computer Programming, Differential Equations, Complex Analysis, Topology, Functional Analysis.
- Electives: The department offers a wide range of elective courses such as – Cryptography, Error Correcting Codes, Graph Theory, Number Theory, Differential Geometry, Dynamical Systems, Numerical Differential Equations, Optimization, Computational Economics, Formal Languages and Automata Theory. A student has to complete at least five of these elective courses, which gives ample space to begin to specialise in a particular area and prepare for either research or a job.
- Project: The second year includes a two-semester Project that can take various forms – such as a reading seminar in a special topic, or participation in a multi-disciplinary team working on an application of mathematics.