Core course for all B.Tech. Programs. Optional for B.Sc. (Research) Chemistry. Not available as UWE.
Credits (Lec:Tut:Lab)= 3:1:0 (3 lectures and 1 tutorial weekly)
Prerequisites: Class XII Mathematics
Overview: We will study Ordinary Differential Equations which are a powerful tool for solving many science and engineering problems. This course also covers some basic linear algebra which is needed for systems of ODEs.
- First order ODEs: separable, exact, linear
- Second order ODEs: homogeneous and nonhomogeneous linear, linear with constant coefficients, Wronskian, undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters
- Laplace transform: definition and inverse, linearity, shift, derivatives, integrals, initial value problems, time shift, Dirac’s delta function and partial fractions, convolution, differentiation and integration of transform
- Matrices: operations, inverse, determinant, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization
- Systems of ODEs: superposition principle, Wronskian, constant coefficient systems, phase plane, critical points, stability
- James Stewart, Essential Calculus – Early Transcendentals, Cengage.
- Erwin Kreyszig, Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Wiley.
Past Instructors: Ajit Kumar, Neha Gupta